Monday, February 22, 2010

SOOC

I had a photo shoot last night, it was fun, tiring, and let me tell you I had a pretty rough time with lighting, between an outlet that was on the blink, and one of my lights having a circuitry problem, well, I had to do a little improvisation. However, the important thing is that I got the job done. Horrahhhh....now for the post shoot touch ups. Yes, the post shoot touch ups.

ahhh...so I stumbled across some SOOC extremists, who were bragging about their skill level and sticking their nose down on people who do post editing. To them I say, "time for recess." Now, here's my thing. If you are strictly a SOOC type of person then good for you! I also do SOOC at times, but it truly depends on the nature of the shot. Imagine doing a shoot of a fashion ad campaign, without any post editing. Ha. Does that mean that the photographer is any less of a photographer because he/she chose to have their shots edited? Certainly not.

People tout about the days of film when you had to be careful what you shot etc. Yes, true it would get quite costly (thank God for digital), but far be it from anyone to insinuate that there was not editing done in the days of film, that would be totally rubbish and journeys away from the truth.

Granted there are people who use Ps and the like as crutches, truth be told, some people should get recognized more-so for their photo manipulation ability as opposed to their photography skill level. But dare I say that their work either SOOC or manipulated, is not worthy of being called a photograph? No.

See, my chief belief is that art is an expression. If someone shoots something that seems just so out of alignment, aesthetically unpleasing, am I going to say their work is unworthy of recognition? No. Today, there are different arenas for everything, and I love an enjoy the privileges of that.

So, if the SOOC extremists prompted anything other than this post, they prompted this, the inspiration for me to design a few graphic T's about the subject. Once, I'm done doing so, I'll post a follow-up post with the results.

Other than that, thank you for spending this moment in your life to read this, and have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment