Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Mass Transit

So mass transit is essential. The bus and train routes can be viewed as the veins and arteries of the city. They help to decrease air pollution among a host of other positives that can be associated with the utilization of mass transit. However, when time is of the essence to you, mass transit can easily become a mass waste of time. Therefore, I drive to a lot of the places in an effort to save time.
That's my point. Saving time. So you can see why I am now met with a healthy dose of frustration.


Why, have I, been sitting in my car for what is about to be an hour, waiting, circling and lurking all in an effort to find a parking spot!


I have waited long on campus for parking but this wait time today it is an unprecedented. Why do I not have a parking decal you ask? Well, my college has such a limited amount of available parking that the opportunity to purchase a decal (which costs a little more than $200), is granted by way of lottery. A lottery that does not apply to a select majority, which leaves a minimal amount of available parking spots to be "lotteried."

Maybe, just maybe I am better off taking two buses to class with a commute of around an hour. At least I know that when I get to campus, I will not be teased by it's proximity and inaccessibility.

Hmm...maybe when it's warmer.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


****Update**** ****Update**** ****Update****

So the next day, I left my house early! Ok, not like too early, but early enough. Now "lo and behold", the same parking issue was already underway!

I forgot to mention how grimy people find it appropriate to slip in and take a spot that the KNOW you were waiting for, with indicators and reverse lights on! I have simply accepted that this is a test of my temperament and choose to pass.

However, this is the part that stings.

After circling around for almost an hour (no exaggeration), I pulled up next to a car and was waiting to see if there was anyone leaving from the main gate (in order to get their spot when they leave). Then "woop woop" this cop car cuts me off, the woman jumps out of the passenger side of the car, with ticket gun in hand walking up to my window! Needless to say I was startled, I mean this looked like a scene straight out of COPS! I started moving forward (since my car was still running) while telling her, "ok mam, I'm leaving." She proceeded to ignore me,  so I'm like "are you serious?" She said, "yes I am." lol...all I could do is laugh. Dirty shame. Dirty dirty shame...she went to the car, got me a beautiful orange envelope and handed me my freshly printed ticket. "TELL HER WHAT SHE'S WON BOB:" I won a beautiful  $115.00 ticket! yay!..not really. What was the offense, "double parked" with her comments below: "sitter   no activity" The nerve!

Do not tell me that traffic officers do not have a quota to meet, because that was "quota meeting" movement. If there is one thing that I have learned, it is the definition of parked. Seemingly, she overlooked that definition in her entrance examinations. Oh...believe you me, I will be pleading "not guilty" to this ticket and I have pictures of the "scene". The worst part is, she continued on, and did the same "cut em off" move to someone else about a hundred feet ahead of me...tisk tisk tisk. "What we won't do to give a ticket."

I'll still be waiting until the weather warms up before I take the bus to campus...it is just too cold for all that. Hopefully I don't find another reason to drive by the time spring is in full bloom ;-).

No comments:

Post a Comment